We had a great time meeting everyone at the Animal Rights Conference 2017 – and by request, are posting our recipe for the Sweet & Salty Vegan Toffee we had at our booth (invented and made by our multi talented in house attorney, Liz Holtz.) Enjoy!
Light brown sugar – 1 cup packed
Saltine Crackers – 50 – 60 crackers
Earth Balance Baking Sticks – 1 cup
Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips – 1 cup
Oreo Cookies – 10 – 20 cookies
• Preheat oven to 300°.
• Line a baking pan with parchment paper or a baking mat.
• Place a single layer of crackers on the bottom of the pan.
• Melt Earth Balance and brown sugar in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil for at least two minutes (270° to 280° – candy thermometer).
• Spread over crackers evenly.
• Bake at 300° until the Earth Balance and sugar mixture hardens (roughly 10 minutes).
• Crush Oreo cookies in a plastic bag to make crumbs, and set aside. (Pecans can be substituted for Oreos.)
• Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in 30 second intervals in a microwave. Stir regularly.
• Once chocolate is melted, spread evenly over the pan of candied crackers.
• Before the chocolate hardens, press Oreo crumbs into the chocolate.
• Once the chocolate cools and hardens, break into bite sized pieces.